The British weather can be somewhat depressing at this time of year, especially with the threat of weather bombs looming over our shoulders. Many UK citizens make the wise decision to head off in search of some winter sun and taking their beloved family pets with them. If you’re planning to escape to warmer climates with your pet we have a few tips to help you have a happy holiday together.
- Check the recent changes made to the rules surrounding pet travel abroad. There are different rules for different pets and for travelling to different countries.
- Do you think taking your pet abroad is the right option? Will it cause them stress and discomfort? It might be worth looking at your other options such as kennels, pet sitters or even pet hotels in the UK.
- Take your pet to the vets for a check-up and to discuss your plans before you book your holiday. Your pet may need to be vaccinated, micro-chipped, wormed or may have a health condition that means they aren’t able to travel abroad.
- Pick a suitable carrier for your pet to travel abroad in. It needs to be made from strong material, be the right size and of good construction.
- Consider helping your pet to remain calm during the journey. There are many options available including spot on treatments, calming tablets and calming sprays. Ask your vet for more information.
Please check the links above for further detail regarding pet travel abroad. If you have any tips to share we’d love to hear them over on the Just For Pets Facebook page.