With Easter at the end of the week, it’s likely your cupboards will soon be groaning under the weight of chocolate eggs and other tasty cocoa-based treats.
Most of us have heard the warnings that chocolate’s not something you should be feeding your pet – but why?
Chocolate and anything cocoa-based contain theobromine, which is toxic to animals. That’s because although we humans can easily metabolise theobromine, they can’t.
Theobromine stimulates the central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and causes a slightly increased blood pressure. This can cause all manner of problems for your pets, including diarrhea, vomiting and increased heart rate.
It’s unlikely to be an issue for your favourite feline – cats are less prone to nibbling on a bar of chocolate as they can’t taste sweetness.
It’s a different story for dogs as they process theobromine much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system. And they’re also more likely to try to munch on your Easter egg!
So how much is toxic for your dog? It depends on the volume consumed (darker, higher quality chocolates contain much more) and the size and age of the dog, but it’s better not to risk it at all.
If you want a chocolate alternative to pamper your pooch with, mock chocolate drops are made from the substitute Carob, which is completely safe for your dog’s digestive system. There’s even a sugar free version.
But whatever your dog’s diet, there is something to tempt the tastebuds this Easter! Check out our range of treats online or in-store.